Monday, November 3, 2014

Meal Plan - First week of November

Hi, all!  Happy November!  Here is our supper menu for this week:

M - kahula pork, rice, slaw, apples
T - fried chicken, baked beans, broccoli, pineapple
W - chili, rice or baked potato, oranges
R - BLT sandwiches, bean soup, grapes
F - salmon patties, rice, carrot-raisin salad, pineapple
S - taco salads, oranges
S - ribs, sweet corn, slaw, apples (If you're thinking that, hm, didn't they just have ribs last week?, well, no, we didn't, because it was too windy to do the charcoal grill.)

But...wait...what about that Trim Healthy Mama thing?  Yes, about that.  It is not a terribly complicated plan, in my opinion.  Eat protein every time you eat, and also eat either fats (and very few carbs) or some carbs (and very little fat).  Yes, there is more to it than that, but that is the foundation of the plan, right there.

So...here is what happened Sunday morning.  It was pancake Sunday, so I made pancakes.  I made half a recipe of the recipe I always make, for Husband and Daughter, and they had them with real maple syrup.  Then, I made some Trim Healthy Mama pancakes for me.  I didn't much care for them.  I also didn't much care for the sugar-free syrup.  Also, even though both were pancakes, it was like cooking two separate meals.  Truth be told, I am a little discouraged with trying to do it for the whole-family meals.

My intent, for now, is to work at breakfast, lunch and snacks, and not worry as much about supper.  I am going to watch portions closely for suppertime, and adapt where I can (and by 'can' I mean where I feel motivated to do so).  For me, skipping rice isn't too hard, really - I can take it or leave it - but chili, on a baked potato?  I think I'll probably have that.  I've also learned some things from the book that help me see some things I can do to make our meals healthier without huge, drastic changes.  I'll try to share more when I have a better grasp of what and why.

I also wanted to tell you that I stopped drinking soda a little over a week ago.  Ten days ago, actually.  When that all started, I told myself that I could have soda once a week, because whenever I say 'never', I fail.  So, last Saturday, I had some soda.  It didn't taste as good as I thought it would, and I felt kind of oogy after drinking it.  It was a disappointment.  This, for me, is a big big deal.  That is one thing I can say is that following this plan, even in a less strict sense, has made sugar a bit overwhelming for me.  I'm not perfectly following the rules, but I do think I'm making some progress.

Ok, so that is our plan and then my little soapbox-y bit on why I'm not fully converted to Trim Healthy Mama.  Have a great week - and share what's on the menu at your place!


1 comment:

  1. I cooked two meals most every meal for around twenty years because of my terrible food allergies so I definitely get that! I am so thankful to be able to eat what everyone else is eating now. Congrats on kicking the soda habit! We usually have one 12 ounce can with pizza on Saturday night and sometimes that tastes really too sweet. But, if I have even one during the week then it tastes really good and I want more-so addicting!

    SN-White bean and turkey chili, fresh bread from the bread machine, salad
    M-macaroni and cheese, broccoli, salad and rolls
    T-meatloaf, baked potatoes, fried cabbage, salad
    W-out to eat with a gift card and then a free movie preview for 'Dumb and Dumber To' right up the street (Full racks of ribs are 13.99 on Wed night so we will probably take home a good many as we cannot do a full rack each. I need to remember to put a cold pack in the car cooler before I leave for the leftovers.)
    TR-hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes, green beans, corn and salad
    FR-baked lemon garlic tilapia, parsley and butter potatoes, Caesar salad (this may be leftover ribs and the sides I have here)
    ST-Pizza, raw veg and dip

    Lots of potatoes on the menu here but we need to use them up.

    Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation! I moderate the comments, so please be patient - they will appear as soon as I have read them!