Tuesday, December 8, 2015

This Week's Frugal Accomplishments

I am going to post frugal accomplishments for this past week.  It seems to be one of the types of posts that some of you have missed (based on messages I have gotten), so I will try to keep up with them when I can.  I know I haven't posted them in a while, but we have continued to make and effort to live frugally, buy second-hand and sort out wants vs. needs.

We used the wood stove in our living room to heat our home as much as possible.  Temperatures early in the week were in the teens, so it was a big help.  We get our firewood for free - we just have to haul it, cut it to length and stack/use it, so it really is a big benefit that is low-cost for us.

We store these in the freezer (so we don't eat them so quickly!)

I used the 'bits' left after a package of frosted mini wheat cereal in some energy balls.  I made them with the cereal dust, milk powder, peanut butter, chopped raisins and cranberries and a little powdered sugar.  Daughter takes them in her lunch for lunchtime 'dessert', or has them for snacks at home.  They're really tasty and a great way to use up odds and ends.

Daughter needed to make a diorama for school.  I asked her to plan it out, then make a list of all the supplies she would need.  I then asked her to 'shop the house' for supplies, and it turned out we did not need to purchase anything for the project.

When I did laundry, I hung it to dry on the drying racks, which I set up in our basement.

I purchased a Christmas gift in like-new condition that would have been $15 new for 75 cents.

I gave Husband a haircut, trimmed Daughter's bangs, then cut my own hair.

We borrowed books and other media from the library.  I also did some subbing at the library.

We (mainly Daughter and I) decided that this year, our Christmas tree would have a bird theme.  I used Pinterest to find and pin ideas for various ornaments we can make.  We intend to do this without spending a lot of money, by using items we have on hand.  (Now, I just need to find some time to bring in the Christmas bins!)

These are so soft and squishy!

JCPenney sent out a flyer that included a $10 off a purchase of $10 or more.  I found some really soft, squishy socks for $5 per pair, so I 'purchased' two completely free.

I found whole chickens for .79 a pound, so I bought three for the freezer.  Cutie tangerines were $3.88 for 5 pounds, so I purchased some of those, along with some fresh pears for .88/lb.  Leaf and romaine lettuces were .99/head, and milk was 1.79/gal.  C&H sugar was .99/4lb., a price we haven't seen in a very long time.  I had to get a raincheck because they had run out.  I'm still watching for good ham prices so I can stock those this month, and butter/oils are on my list as well.

I planned a supper menu, which helps me use both my time and our leftovers more efficiently.

How was your week?  What did you do to spend less, save more, or make do?

3 comments:

  1. I got that same flyer, and my oldest has been requesting warmer socks. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this great idea to use up "cereal dust"! I had been keeping the crumbs from the bottom of the boxes of Frosted Mini Wheats for months and I finally had to throw them away because I just couldn't think of what to do with them. I'm bookmarking your post! I'm jealous of the great deals you found! I can't believe how cheap your milk is. The cheapest we have it here (Central Florida) is $2.99 a gallon right now. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back!

    I cooked the turkey carcasses into broth after Thanksgiving and canned 20 pints. Three turkey meals were frozen for later. We have been working on rotating and eating up some freezer meals that had been forgotten. I now have a good inventory of those meals on the side of the refrigerator inside so that they get eaten. I cooked a whole Boston butt pork roast and shredded it and mixed with BBQ sauce. Ten containers went into the freezer for other meals and one was eaten right away for only $8.47! Boneless skinless Chicken breasts were 1.69 a pound. I bought five pounds and did half sliced and frozen in marinade for fajitas for Christmas Eve. The rest was cut into cubes and frozen in 8 ounce packages.

    We put up our 25 year old artificial tree. It still looks good but we are frustrated with the number of needles that it is dropping. We decided that we should wait to replace it until we downsize so that we don't spend money on a tree we cannot use later.

    I shopped Cyber week deals for shoes and other items for Hubby. New Balance shoes and Florsheim leather casuals for $26 a pair cannot be beat! I also ordered dress shirts at 90% off, a $50 wallet for $9 for Hubby and one to put away for my Dad for Father's Day. I got a much needed new pair of slippers for 50% off.

    I learned that Amazon will give a credit for a lower price within 7 days of ordering. I was able to buy another gift for that grandchild with the credit.

    I have stocked up on pretty much everything we need to restock except still needing more chocolate chips. I am hoping for a deal. I bought a ham for .89 # at Aldi and Hubby will get a free spiral sliced one from work.

    We talked about wanting to take someone out to lunch after church and prayed about who. Sunday we met another couple our age who have been visiting for a few weeks and had the nicest time getting to know them. We were able to give each other encouragement on some things that we are going through with our adult children so that was good for both of us. God is good!

    We are working on getting a kitchen renovation project going for January. I wished we could go ahead and do it in December since the painter said he does not have any work right now. But, yikes, that popcorn ceiling is going to be a mess!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation! I moderate the comments, so please be patient - they will appear as soon as I have read them!